Friday, September 28, 2012

Relief already

As I was off sick with a stupid cold on Monday, I didn't get to that support group I mentioned in my previous blog post. But, I still thought going along was really important for me, and it turns out they had a lunch time session yesterday, so I booked it into my calendar and went along. I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive prior to the start time, and considered just not going, but I am genuinely glad I didn't listen to that negative little voice in my head.

I've been to one of these groups once before, about a year ago, and at the time I didn't think it was for me. I am so glad I gave it another go though, looking up a different session and consequently finding a group that I feel comfortable with. There was a warm feeling as soon as I entered the room, and the stories told by other people there really spoke to me, as did some of the readings and discussions we had about choices and detachment. I know this will be a long process for me, as I do have major difficulties with detaching and guilt associated with my Dad, but I am feeling more confident about doing it now. I'll definitely be going to these sessions at least once a week.

It's something I think my Mum would really benefit from, but I can't force her to go along, all I can do is tell her I'm going and try and encourage her, and share some of the reading material with her. One of the ladies who spoke yesterday sounded so much like my Mum, I think she could really relate if she gave it a go. But she will when she's ready to.

The only downside is that there's a spiritual focus, and I find myself a bit lost spiritually at the moment. The focus is expected as it stems from AA so has similar 12 steps and has the serenity prayer, but they are very quick to point out that it is non denominational and the spiritual side can work for you no matter what your belief, you just find a way to apply it to your life and your beliefs.

It's only been one session but the happiness and relief I already feel are massive, despite knowing there's a very long way to go.

2 comments:

I love interacting with my readers, so thanks for leaving a comment :)